Wednesday, August 30, 2006

oh fashion, my captain

it's that time of the year again when i peruse the various september issues of fashion mags from all over the world. and besides nicholas ghesquière's genius and the fab kate moss, what the efff are lindsey lohan and kirsten dunst doing on the covers of american elle and vogue (respectively)?

i won't even go into how disappointing it is for elle to slap la lohan on the cover for their most important issue of the year, let alone do a feature on her (My security guard is going to take me to a gun range when I get back to L.A., and I'm going to start taking shooting lessons. He says if I'm going to go there [Iraq] I should really know how to shoot). but vogue? i mean, really! it's scary how sophia coppola's p.r. peops seem to rival those of the republican party as the photos were taken during the making of her, dare-i-call-it, "film" years ago specifically for this issue of american vogue. then to regard her "film's" costume design as a modern trend is laughable (not to mention all that tacky pink throw-up on the cover). but the worst thing about it is how they try to make hip the whole marie-antoinette disaster by putting dunst's name and the phrase "teen queen" together on the cover. of vogue. supposedly one of the world's most-respected fashion magazines.

in any case, i may not be the end-all authority on fashion, but sadly these girls are portrayed as models of just that in america. i must have been 5 or 6 years old when i decided that i loved fashion - my sister used to subscribe to ym magazine (when ym stood for "young miss"), and one month they put the pre-teen milla jovovich on their cover. from that issue on, i'd watch my sister draw fashion sketches with my crayola markers on her bed and draw some of my own too, i'd let her dress me up in different outfits and take pictures of me with her kodak 110-film camera, and i'd dream of traveling all over the world... so to think that there are little girls today flipping through their older sisters' or mothers' copies of vogue and elle, seeing c-rated teen celebs in high fashion, and reading quotes that glamorize their wasteful and frivolous habits is scary.

or at the very least, a very expensive act to follow.

the fashion addict herself in the flesh
the fashion addict herself, originally uploaded by mjane.

1 comment:

GRusette said...

JANE! I must say, after months of working at my friend's boutique on Melrose I've become more concious of what looks good and what doesn't, especially based on all the new designs for the season. :-) Why don't you just be a personal stylist? DO IT! XOXOX -gerlie